Oral cancer is considered a “silent” disease because it often progresses to a dangerous stage without any noticeable symptoms. Like all diseases, oral cancer is easiest to treat while in its earliest stage. Dr. Layth Ghanim and our team utilize VELscope® to detect and identify oral cancer as quickly as possible.
Oral cancer can develop in several areas within the mouth, such as the lips, throat, cheeks, sinuses, floor of the mouth, and the hard and soft palates. Symptoms include:
- Red, white, or red-and-white lesions in the mouth or on the lips
- Lumps or rough spots on the lips, gums, or soft tissue
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unexplained pain or numbness around the mouth, neck, or face
- Ear pain
- A chronic sore throat or sensation of something caught in the throat
- Difficulty swallowing, speaking, or chewing
- Change in bite
VELscope helps detect these symptoms when combined with the expertise of our dentist and team. We offer oral cancer screenings as part of your routine dental exam, one of the many reasons we encourage you to visit our office regularly.
We encourage you to contact Arlington Dental Excellence at 703-525-0157 today if you have noticed a change in your oral health or have any questions about our VELscope oral cancer screening in Arlington, Virginia.